Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Were Muslims Ever Persecuted?

If you had to guess who asked that question, would you guess:

A). Someone who is unfamiliar with Muslims and their history
B). Someone who isn't sure what "persecuted" means, or
C). A college student 10 minutes into a lesson about the crusades

Seriously dude? Right after learning about how Christians waged war against Muslims 9 times over something like a 200 year time span (mostly because of their religious beliefs), you ask if they were ever persecuted?

I shouldn't judge, or rant like this I suppose, but sometimes I get fed up with people's complete lack of critical thinking. If he had taken like, 2 seconds to think about if the Muslims had ever been persecuted, he probably would have thought something along the lines of "Oh yeah, the crusades, duh! Why do I think so many stupid things?"

I guess it all comes down to our culture of instant gratification. If we want to know something, we want to know it right away. I remember back when I was 7 or 8 and we didn't have internet in the house. If I wanted to know something, I'd ask my Dad, and if he didn't know, I just assumed that I wanted to know something that no one in the world knew about. Now, if you want to know who played the Chinese guy that Malcolm's grandma tried to marry in that one episode of Malcolm in the Middle, it takes 5 seconds to look that up on imbd (his name is James Hong by the way. He's also in the episode of Seinfeld where they're waiting to get a table at a Chinese restaurant as well as the voice of Po's dad from Kung-Fu Panda. I hate that I know that off the top of my head).

So, if someone in class wants to know something now, instead of sending their neurons and synapses to wrestle whatever their conundrum is into submission, they just ask the teacher. I'd be probably be a lot less annoyed with this whole thing if these kinds of questions weren't a regularly occurring thing. And I'm not really angry about it so much as I'm flabbergasted. I hoped that college students would be a touch smarter than this.

And when I think about it, I'm not really above this sort of thing either. Instant gratification is why I've been eating graham crackers for the last half hour instead of just making dinner, and why I went to Dairy Queen last night before I watched the A-Team.

So I guess my beef is mostly against people asking retarded questions during class. Instant gratification is OK.

No comments:

Post a Comment